Individuals and families want accurate information about prevention and wellness from trusted sources. Health care provicers can increase overall health by educating patients about healthy choices
Adopt procedures for routine screening of BMI (Body Mass Index) for children and adults
Provide patients with counseling and resources to improve healthy eating and active living behaviors
- Seek training and support to integrate healthy eating and active living into clinical and organizational policies and practices
- Conduct assessment of dietary and physical activity behaviors, including BMI, for both adults and children at all routine visits
- Provide counseling and behavioral interventions to assist patients to improve dietary choices and physical activity behaviors
- Provide referrals to community healthy eating and active living resources as needed
- Create organizational environments that model healthy policies and practices for patients, employees and visitors
5-2-1-0 Tools for Pediatric Primary Care
Resources for BMI measurement, physical activity and nutrition assessment, education, and health behavior counseling.
NH Hospital Healthy Food Environment Report
Foundation for Healthy Communities and HEAL-NH Issue Report on Healthy Eating and Hospital Food Services in New Hampshire
Stay'NHealthy Growing Strong
A compilation of tools developed for Nashua area primary care practices through the successful Stay'NHealthy program.
Institute for Motivation and Change
Offers education, training, and consultation in motivational interviewing and health behavior change.
Prevention and Treatment of Childhood Obesity
American Academy of Pediatrics resource for advocacy opportunities at the community, state and federal levels.
Let's Go! Healthcare Toolkit
More resources for BMI measurement, physical activity and nutrition assessment, education, and health behavior counseling.
Practical Advice for Family Physicians to Help Overweight Patients
An American Family Physician Monograph